Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Guess what!

I got a lot of emails today reminding me how much I am loved. Can you pass along my sincere deepest gratitude to all those who took the time to email me and remind me how wonderful I am? Sometimes I forget. ;)

Well, I am in Whittier, serving in the La Mirada and Mar Vista wards. My companion is Sister Mesake. She goes home in September. When you add our months of service together, you get about 18 months. Crazy! She is super cool. She's from Tonga! We have already been having probably way too much fun together, meeting members of the ward and trying to get a hold of the leadership especially. The area here is a lot different from Westminster. This is a more wealthy area. The people are super nice though. I think we're going to get along nicely.

I'm learning the area really well already. Why? you may ask. Well, it's because I'm driving!!! Wahoo!! I'm a driving missionary!!! This has its ups and its downs. The big downer is that we don't have bikes. (not that that is too horrible because the stake we work for the singles ward is HUGE but that means I'm gonna be gaining some pounds again. Oh well.) Everyone here is super nice. Have I told you that already? One girl told me and Sister Mesake that we looked like models. Oh dear.

Fun stories? Well, there is one lady here who is from Indonesia. But she is NOT Indonesian. She'll tell you so. She is not Dutch either. (apparently Indonesia is/was a colony of Holland?) She is Indo. She has a fascinating story about escaping Indonesia to come to America. She was in a concentration camp for 3 years! She is so sweet. One thing I learned from her is that Bali is in Indonesia. Of course, when she said Bali my first thought was Bob Hope and Bing Crosby with Dorothy Lamour.

We have an investigator here. His name is Curtis. He is a sweet kid. We are working with him to get him baptized ASAP. He comes to church all on his own. He even stays for Sunday School! We might have to reteach him the lessons though. It doesn't seem like much of them stuck.

I'll probably say this every time I transfer, but it is amazing the love I have for these people. Not that I don't normally love people pretty quickly but this is a different kind of love. I want them so badly to have what I have. These people are hurting, searching, needing what I have in my life. I am truly grateful for the training I received. Sister Coleman helped me break my shell. Really. I have no shell anymore. I see someone on the street. I talk to them. (For those of you who knew me before college know this is unheard of for Shavonne to do.) This is the Lord's work. My weakness can only be turned into a strength through this work.

I'm also learning how to be a good wife/mother here. I'm learning how to find that line of patience and tolerance. Where do I let go and where do I be obnoxiously obstinate? It's a fun process.

One thing I know for sure. Jesus Christ lives. He knows us. He knows you. He knows the people here. I may have been called to teach, but I am also here to serve. This is the blessing I signed up for. I get to represent my Savior in bringing His children home.

I love this work. I love these people. I love you!!

Love,

Sister Shavonne Fielding

P.S. Next week is Memorial day so I don't know if I'll be able to email because everything will be closed. I love you!

P.P.S. If anyone is wondering, I prefer snail mail. If it's not possible though, I love emails too. :D

P.P.P.S. My new address is:

Sister Shavonne Fielding
14603 Rosecrans #2
La Mirada, CA 90638

No comments:

Post a Comment