Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hi Mom!!

This week I have noticed a huge difference between doing something just so we can say we filled the time and doing something because the Spirit of the Lord prompted that action. The difference is striking when you are looking for it. We had an appointment set up with a lady in our ward who is in a part member family. She only had a few minutes to meet with us before she had to hurry home to her husband who is very antagonistic toward the church. We tried to set up a return appointment, she looked right at me and said, "Why is it you want to meet with me so badly again?" I realized that I really didn't know. I knew her family were not members...but because they were so hard against the church they weren't really viable potentials right now. Maybe when their hearts are softened by her example. So the thought came to me, "Share Feed My Sheep with her." She has a lot of friends and neighbors that she wants to introduce to the gospel, she just isn't sure how. How fortunate that we have a program designed just for that! :D

As for our investigators, they all have dropped us...So we have two who are wanting us to follow up with them on their reading and searching but won't keep appointments. We have decided to take your counsel from district meeting to heart and go through our area book though. We go through it every night and choose 6 or 7 names of former investigators we would like to try. As a result, we have a family coming to church this Sunday!! (They couldn't this Sunday because their son was coming back from the marines yesterday.) They have agreed to meet with us after church and committed to begin reading the Book of Mormon this week as well. This was such a huge blessing after a rather unfruitful week! The teaching record looks promising too. We may just have an entire family baptized really soon.

Another lesson I have learned this week involves the difference between faith and discouragement. Oftentimes, I get the two confused. I think to myself, "Wow! I really have no power to do any of this on my own. I'd better just leave all of this in the Lord's hands." While that is true in theory, the Lord still requires an open heart and a willing mind. He requires action. Then He uses that action to bless the lives of His children. Faith is not just the hope of things unseen. But it is the evidence of our love and devotion. It is expressed through our actions, not inaction.

I was also going to write and say how much I feel inadequate to the task of being senior companion but then I was reminded of a scripture in D&C which says something to the effect of we are called in our weakness. The Lord calls the weak because then we are teachable and willing to submit. If we have it down, we aren't going to listen.

I am so grateful to be serving in this mission. The lack of baptisms this week was devastating but my faith has grown. I know the Lord will bless this mission as we work hard, be exactly obedient, and exercise our faith through constantly inviting.

There are so many blessings that are found in giving up our lives to serve the Lord. Maybe I'm being naive but I believe that when we make the gospel who we are, then are we that much closer to losing our lives in the service of our God. That is what we want right?

I love you Mom! You and Dad have always been such a wonderful example to me! I hope that my children will have the same joy in the gospel through my and my spouse's example just as I had through you and Dad's. I love you so much!!

Tell everyone hi for me!

Love,
Sister Shavonne Fielding

P.S. I'm really excited for my birthday this week. Did I mention that already? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment