This week has been...well...a mess. But it has taught me a lot about how mindful the Lord is of His children, even when they aren't always as mindful of Him.
It started off with Monday after email. We received an invitation to go play sports with the elders in our zone. Since we haven't played sports in over a month, I was itching to go. (Yes, I missed throwing a ball around okay? :P) When we got there, one of my companions turns to me and asks if I really want to stay and play. You see, there were about 20 elders and then us three sisters. I said, "Heck yeah!" and ran out to grab the football. Well, I began to play catch with my other companion. I went to throw the football when all of a sudden a shooting pain when up and down my arm and through my whole body. I went to move my arm to see what was the matter when I realized my arm wasn't even bent in the right direction. The top of my humerous (though there was nothing remotely funny about this) was stuck in my armpit! So of course, me being the very calm collected individual that I am, I freak out and start to cry. I can't move my arm. I am surrounded by guys and my companions are staring at me like I'm nuts! Pride is a serious issue. One of the elders grabs my arm to hold it up while another immediately calls President Bubert. He puts President on speaker and tells me to start talking to him. In the mean time, I hear, "Here Sister, we're going to give you this to bite on. Somebody get a table! We're going to pop it back into place." More pain?? No!!!! Then, I have a strong impression come to my mind. "Uuum Sister Fielding? This has happened before remember? Just lift your arm above your head and it will be okay. Breathe." Oh yeah! says I. I've done this before. Great. So I instruct the elder holding my arm to raise it above my head. After a slight pop and twist, my arm goes back into place and everything is....well still sore but back in place. Then I am ordered to go to the urgent care center to get my shoulder checked out. One problem. I am the only licensed driver in my companionship and I can't get a ride from elders because the white handbook says so. So we set out to take me to the doctor, me at the wheel with my left hand and my right arm held up by a makeshift sling someone gave me. The doctor takes x-rays and tells me that I sprained it. Wahoo! One week, and I'm free! Well...the next day, we get a call from the x-ray experts...gotta see an orthopedic because there is a separation in my shoulder. Oh goody.
So fast forward to the next doctor visit. He checks out my arm and says it looks okay but the x-rays do show a separation. Keep my arm in a sling for another week and a half and get an MRI after Thanksgiving. Oh boy. So now everyone knows that Sister Fielding can't throw a football and I am swiftly learning to become left handed.
Yesterday, I locked the keys in the car during the rain. That was an adventure too. But the Lord still helped us to find a new investigator! She is a 10 year old girl who's mother is not doing so hot, healthwise. We were delivering a turkey dinner to them when the keys were locked in the car. We were able to get in and no one has pneumonia so all in all, everything worked out just fine. :D
This week, I had the opportunity to read the talk by Elder Cook of the Seventy called, "It is Better to Look Up." We have had a lot of avoidance from people this week and I was getting a little...sad? Frustrated? Impatient! After reading that talk, I was reminded of the love our Savior has for us. He suffered the Atonement for us so that we could place our burdens on Him. I was overwhelmed. I knelt and prayed to my Father in Heaven and asked Him to please lift my burden so that I may be able to bear it. The burden hasn't gotten lighter but I do feel stronger. Heavenly Father loves us so much. He sometimes gives us one thing after another so that we will rely on Him more. What a blessing it is to have trials and struggles!
Well, my shoulder hurts again. I'm not wearing my sling right now because I can't type with it on. I love you so much! I hope you don't worry too much. I told you my story to let you know that I am okay, better even. Heavenly Father is helping me to be more humble and patient. I need all the help I can get. I know that this gospel is true. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. President Thomas S. Monson is His prophet on the earth today.
Love,
Sister Shavonne Fielding
No comments:
Post a Comment