Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hi Mom!

 I am so glad you and Dad are volunteering your time at the temple. Sister Bradshaw and I are making a plan for next year when she finishes. We want to do a temple tour of all the temples in Utah!! Cool huh? We have the list all made up and everything. I love the temple so much! I can't imagine a better place to be.

So in reading through your words of advice, a very compelling thought came to my mind. Pride is not just found in the unrighteous judgement and comparison of others. It is also found in the unrighteous judgement and comparison of ourselves. How dare we believe that we are not able to be loved and cared for by the infinite love of our Father in Heaven?! Why would we even entertain the thought that we are not worthy of our Father's forgiveness? In the priesthood blessing I received a few weeks ago, I was told that Heavenly Father knows me and my situation, even better than I know myself. Trust in Him and all will be well.

I was asked to give a talk on something out of Preach My Gospel. I looove it when I'm given such broad topics to speak on. As I sat down last week to figure out what my talk would be about, I wanted to talk about Chapter 6 Developing Christlike Attributes. That's fresh, newish, and exciting! But when I tried to open up to the page, Chapter 5 The Book of Mormon stuck out to me like never before. "Oh!" I thought " didn't I just finish reading the Book of Mormon for the second time on my mission? What were my thoughts about that? what did I gain?" Then a whole talk started to develop in my head. What is the Book of Mormon? Why do we, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints put so much emphasis on it? What is the vision that causes so many to testify of its truthfulness?

So I gave a talk answering those questions. It barely covered my allotted time. I was nervous but well strengthened by the spirit of the Lord. After I sat down, the next speaker got up and spoke about the same thing!! His perspective, however, was starting from Joseph Smith's first vision and going on to his testimony of the Savior. We both testified of the Book of Mormon and it's role as the keystone of our religion. Then, with 2 minutes to spare, Bishop Smith got up and testified that what had just happened was NOT planned. He did not tell us what to speak on. He then invited everyone there to be more bold in talking to their friends about the church. He talked about the wonderful missionaries they have in their ward. (Talk about a confidence booster! Sheesh!) He testified of our role as teachers and in being led by the spirit. It was an amazing sacrament meeting to say the least.

I have come to know that this is a time of preparation, as well as a time of action. Actually, as I write that, I think all of life, once we are accountable, is a time of preparation as well as a time of action. We prepare as we act and we have to act in order to prepare. Hmmmm...that's kinda cool!

I love being a missionary, Mom. I love serving the Lord with all I have. It doesn't feel like much, but it's really all I have to give right now. Heavenly Father is merciful to me in my weakness, but He is also working hard with me to turn those weaknesses into strengths. One talent I am promised is the gift of discernment. I have had a great opportunity to develop this gift in ways that benefit not only those I teach, but myself as well.

So I'm working on that balance thing you told me about last week. Taking time to feel and to act as I feel so inspired. The Holy Ghost is a great teacher for practical things too. It's great!

Well, there is a line forming for the computer so I'd better finish here.


Love,


Sister Shavonne Fielding

No comments:

Post a Comment