Hallo everybody!!
There have been some concerns expressed on the well-being of those of
us here in California with the aftermath of the earthquake in Japan in
the news. I'm here to tell you that we didn't get hit much at all in
So Cal so no need to fret. ;)
Life here is wonderful. We have one little boy who has officially set
his date for baptism for the end of this month. Little Jules is
technically an investigator because he is 9 years old. We have been
meeting with him and his family for the past 3 weeks now to teach him
all he needs to know in preparation for baptism. They are a fun family
to teach.
There are so many things that I wanted to share with you, I know I
did. But as I sit down to compose them all into an email, all the
details have fled my mind so now you just get my thoughts and
impressions.
This week has greatly increased my testimony of the restoration of the
gospel of Jesus Christ on this earth. How blessed are we to have a
prophet in this age to teach us the will of God and to direct His
Church through direct revelation? I recently had some time on my hands
to read and ponder the words of an Apostle. (Meaning I was sick this
weekend and therefore bed-ridden for a couple days. Don't worry. I'm
better now.) Having that written testimony to combine with my own was
one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had. Jesus Christ truly
is the head of this work. If He weren't the author of it, then why the
heck am I here in California talking to strangers when I could be
perfectly comfortable in an apartment in Utah doing what I've been
doing for the past two years?
I was asked in a letter how I came to the conclusion I was supposed to
serve a mission. While I will address that question on a more personal
note to said person, I would like to share the experience with the
world here.
I have wanted to serve a mission ever since I learned girls could. I
love meeting new people and I had hoped that I would learn a new
language and get to travel a bit because of it. At first, my desires
were purely temporal. But they were desires nonetheless. The Lord
works with what He has. When it came time to make the decision whether
to go and serve or stay and finish school and hope an eligible young
man won me over for marriage, I was determined to make the correct
choice. Afterall, I would be putting my life on hold for a year and a
half to be a servant of the Lord and no one else (including myself). I
prayed and I prayed. No answer. I read the scriptures. No answer. I
talked to my friends and family. Lots of advice and input. No answer.
This lasted for a good two or three months. (I wanted to know BEFORE I
turned 21 so I could make the necessary preparations) The answer came
about a month before my birthday.
"Sister Fielding, both are righteous desires. Which decision are you
going to give your all to? It is that decision that will bring you the
most blessings."
Now that I have been a missionary for over a month, I am grateful for
the choice I made. No one made it for me. I am in the Lord's hands. He
will take care of me and my future. All I'm asked to do is teach,
serve, and testify. Cool huh?
So that is the story of my struggle to know whether I should serve a
mission or not. I'm learning more and more how to truly rely on the
Lord in EVERYTHING I do. If I go to long without a prayer in my heart,
mind, or ear I get antsy.
But this doesn't mean that only set apart missionaries should go about
serving and testifying. Every member is a missionary remember? Let's
all share this truth together! It's a marvelous work and wonder we
have in our lives. Why not share it?
Anywho, that's my soapbox for the day. I hope you all gained something from it.
I love you all. I pray for you often. I thank you all for your love
and support. It really means a lot. =)
Love,
Sister Shavonne Fielding
No comments:
Post a Comment