Sister Fielding has discovered a new talent about herself. Ready? Her companion tells her that she has the ability to transform from girl walking to old man contemplatively strolling!! Cool eh? Haha it gets kind of cold in the mornings so I put my hands in my pockets. I guess my companion thinks it makes me look like an old man strolling down the street by the way I carry myself. (Quiet dignity at it's finest folks!)
Life here is really good. We had another baptism yesterday for little Jules Colombel! He's a 9 year-old kid we have been teaching for the past four weeks. His whole family has been baptized but because he turned 9 before he was baptized, he was considered a convert and so we got to teach him and his family. His dad is Tahitian and his mom is Hawaiian. She is a professional dancer and teacher. I absolutely love this family. I am kind of sad that we don't get to teach them regularly anymore but also glad that he is now baptized. The poor kid had his doubts. He witnessed a baptism a few weeks ago and learned he would have to go all the way under the water. He didn't like that idea so much. But he was very brave and did it anyway because he knew it was right. Gosh, I just love this kid!
We got the great opportunity to attend the stake variety show this Saturday. We were allowed because we brought an investigator with us. Well...actually they took us...so we went as one big happy family! He is an older gentleman (50s?) and his wife is a member. They are huge health fanatics! They run a business from their home that promotes weightloss and natural ways to get energy. (Kinda reminds me of what Darwin and Lisa do...did...still do? I dunno.) Anywho, so they took us to it. It was a huge production! Pretty close to being very professional! Backdrops, sound system, choreographed numbers, self-composed music! It was phenomenal! I've never seen a stake production this grand. And apparently, this was severly down-sized from what they used to do. We had a lot of fun. Brother Montes (pronounced moan-Tis) sat next to me. (He's our investigator) We spent a lot of the time talking about how they had almost everything. All that was lacking was a good country tune. They had plenty of bluegrass though! One song I'm pretty sure I heard on Mom's Hee-Haw DVD. (Fond memories!) I turned to my companion who said, " I guess they have to entertain ALL members of the audience at some point." I enjoyed it. :D
So let me take a minute to brag about a lady in our ward, if I may. This woman is roughly 92 years old and put on a beautiful performance at the variety show. This woman, Sis. Wiseman, is a professional ballroom dancer who teaches at a local cotillian with her partner. She has so much energy and life for her age! I want to grow up to be just like her! She dances so beautifully and you just know she loves it. It was a lot of fun. :)
Then, of course, the kids did the Thriller. It was pretty neat. They were pretty elaborate with their costumes. There are a lot of talented kids here! I shouldn't be surprised but I was. (by the way, how did that go with Aaron and his friends?)
I have learned something really neat about teaching with the Spirit. I can tell when the Spirit is present by how much I am being edified right along with those we are teaching. Other people's comments make me think and give me a better understanding of the principles we are teaching. How wonderful it is that we can all teach and learn and grow together! This isn't just a one or even two man job. We all work together to grow in our understanding of the gospel.
There are so many times as a missionary that I worry my head is growing. People tell us what a good job we are doing and how wonderful we are and I just want to say, "This is the Lord's doing. I just get to be a part of it." Never in my life have I felt such a strong guiding hand in my life. Correction, never have I felt such joy in giving up my life for something else. I hope that soon this will feel like my life. Right now, I still feel like I've just put my life on hold. I hope to one day reach a point where this IS my life. It will be at that point that I know that I have become one with the Lord.
We have transfers coming up soon. I keep getting brief nightmares of them transfering my companion away, leaving me to be the one in this area who knows everyone. Call it my fear of responsibility. Call it insecurity. Either way, I hope she is around for at least another six weeks.
So what else can I tell you? So much happens in a week that it is next to impossible to describe it all in one little email. Oh! Sister Coleman and I have been asked to sing at a baptism next month! That'll be kinda fun. Especially since I absolutely love the man being baptized. We are blessed to be the missionaries here as he has become converted to the gospel. He has been married to his member wife for 8 years, the whole time she has been hoping he will join one day. He has had a miraculous change of heart and has decided to be baptized. I love teaching him because he knows where his conversion came from. It wasn't us reading scriptures with him. It wasn't reading Preach My Gospel. It was the change of his heart. Cool eh? We love him.
Oh!! Okay, so funny story. We were asked to help teach in the Primary this past Sunday. Our mission? Teach about prophets. Well what better way to teach about prophets than to actually BE prophets?? We dressed up as Alma and Abinadi. (I was Alma) The kids came into our room class by class and were so confused by what they saw. These sister missionaries with beards!! We talked about keeping the commandments and how that protected me, Alma, from being killed in the wilderness. Some kids really liked it. Others...well they were determined not to be tricked by our disguise so they kept telling the class that we weren't really prophets but girls with fake beards. It was a fun lesson to teach though! What a way to usher in General Conference next week!
I'm so excited for General Conference. We are going to watch it in the stake center with whoever else comes with. I'm excited to hear a prophet's voice. We are so blessed to have that capability did you know that? I'm slowly learning the importance of that blessing. We have been blessed in so many ways. :)
Well, I am about out of time and I still have other things to do. I love you all!
Love,
Sister Fielding
P.S. You can send me letters. It's okay. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment