Monday, June 13, 2011

Okay, so I'm a little bummed. I just remembered that forgot to grab the piece of paper with Elder Soelberg's family history on it so we could find out if we're related! Gaaaah!! It's okay. I'll remember next time. :D

So this has been a crazy week to be sure. I'm learning how to be assertive!! Wahoo! I love learning new skills that didn't think I needed before! (in all seriousness too. I'm not being sarcastic with this!) I have learned for myself that the power of the Atonement works. It is not just for the vilest of sinners but also for those of us who, by our nature, lack the disposition to "rock the boat" as it were. We all sin. But we all can repent. The first principle learned when learning about the doctrine of Jesus Christ is that through Christ, we can be cleansed from sin. That is what the gospel is all about!

Okay, enough preaching. You want stories right? Okay.

We've begun teaching this woman named Arlene. Her parents are members but she had moved out of the house before the missionaries arrived to teach her parents so she was raised Catholic. She wants to know God. It is such a joy to teach her because everything we testify of, she nods her head and says, "Wow. That makes so much sense." She is reading the Book of Mormon and prays every day. She is such a sweet woman.

Our other investigator is Kurtis. He has been meeting with missionaries for a while now but because of complications with certain commandments, hasn't been able to be baptized yet. He has a strong testimony of the power of church attendance though. He's gaining one for prayer. He recognizes the Spirit pretty well and loves when we come over. We hope he will be ready by the end of the month to be baptized! Yay!!

We had Stake Conference yesterday. Sister Mesake and I decided to match for the occasion so we wore matching shirts we found at Wal Mart. (Everyone thought it was pretty cute) The talks were soooo good!!! They really emphasized those who had graduated from the Forever Family program (or List of 15 as it is sometimes called) and how they came back to activity. It was so cool to see that each person who spoke received their own witness for themselves. How important it is that we gain our own testimony! We can't just piggyback on someone else's. It just doesn't stick that way.

President Bubert, our mission president, also gave a great talk on missionary work. I love our mission president. When he speaks, you know it comes from his heart. He has such love for the people in the California Long Beach Misson. Everything he said really hit home to me on how I can be a better missionary. Now comes the fun part of applying what I learned! Yay application!

Well, I hope all is well at home. Sorry to all. I didn't make letter writing a huge priority last week...but I'm repenting! I will write more letters today.

I love you.

Sister Shavonne Fielding

No comments:

Post a Comment