Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This week started off with a bang! Our investigator called us in the middle of the night to tell us to stay away from him. He was drunk at the time but he sounded really angry so we've decided to wait until he gets a little more sober to contact him again. The next day, we spent the majority of our time trying to contact less-active individuals on the ward list meeting with no success because everyone was either sick or at work. To top it all off, we got attacked by a bird! (yes. A bird) Here's the story:

We were walking up a driveway when all of a sudden, I hear Sister Mesake yelp! I look to see what she is yelping about just in time to see a bird fly away from her. When I asked what happened, she says, "That bird just hit my hand! I thought it was you at first but it was the bird!" That gave us a good laugh.

After talking to the people who owned the driveway marked as a target by the bird, we walked back down the driveway, watching the bird who had attacked my companion as he sat up on the wire. I looked down to find my keys when I hear Sister Mesake say, "Sister Fielding! Watch out!" I look up to see this same bird heading directly for my head! Me being the queen of cool that I am, started running for the car. I used the remote to unlock what I thought was all the doors then got inside as fast as I could. Poor Sister Mesake, on the other hand, is locked out of the car with the bird getting ready to come for another go! I realized my mistake and unlocked all the doors so she could get in. Oh my goodness. We decided our investigator was so angry with us that he was sicking the birds on us. This bird was crazy.

So apart from drunken phone calls and kamakazee birds, this week has been pretty relaxed. We are working to find more people to teach which takes patience and long-suffering. Neither trait is a strength of mine but that again, why are we given weaknesses? "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27) Now I get to be humble! Wahoo!

I am so grateful to be serving in this area! There are so many wonderful people in both the La Mirada and Mar Vista wards! The dynamics are different from anything I have ever lived in/experienced before but the Lord is teaching me how do love ALL people. It's so cool!!

Well, I think that pretty much sums up my week this week. I love this gospel. I love this area. I love my companion.

I'm also learning more about my own strengths. I'm speaking this Sunday and strangely enough, I'm not all that nervous about it. In fact, I'm kind of excited! Public speaking is SO much easier than in-house lessons! Now if that isn't strange enough, I also have taken a greater liking to studying the scriptures for other people and finding ways that the scriptures benefit the both of us. It's really really cool! I hope I can develop this skill to the point that I can teach my own future children this way. It's fun!

Okay, I really am ending this now. I love you! Keep praying for me. I can feel of your love and support everyday because of your prayers. :)

Love,

Sister Shavonne Fielding

No comments:

Post a Comment